YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Reality TV: A Modern Day Morality

When I was younger, I really wanted to be on MTV's "The Real World". 7 random strangers in their early 20s we able to live rent-free in a nice mansion or loft provided by MTV, party, fight and have sex while being filmed 24/7. At the time, I thought this was cool. Now, that would be the last thing I ever would want to do with my life!

For years, critics of reality television bashed it for it's violence, glorification of sex, stereotyping of gender, racial and sexual minorities. Some don't see the point of it because it's just as staged as a regular sitcom or drama show and see it as a cheap way to take away air time from regular scripted shows. I've watched dozens of the shows and I now see the goal of all this.

The point of these shows is to tell the viewer how not to live out their life. For example, Vh1's "Love and Hip Hop" franchise. "Love and Hip Hop" has two separate shows; "Love and Hip Hop New York" and "Love and Hip Hop Atlanta". Produced by Mona Scott-Young, these shows feature the lives of rappers and singers within the Hip Hop industry. Some are seasoned artists such as Joe Budden, Consequence, Lil' Scrappy, etc. Others are aspiring or rising artists such as K.Michelle, L'Orel and Joseline Hernandez.

The ironic thing about this series is that you rarely see anyone producing records or singles. Most of the time the cast members are having twitter beefs, baby mama drama, love triangles, or physically fighting with each other. Don't get me wrong I love to see ratchet TV. But I look at these shows for entertainment value only and I would never want to trade lives with any of these people. You can not pay me to make an ass out of myself on national TV. Even if you promised to pay of my loans. I'm not doing it.

The thing that makes me sad about this show is that these people have the most dysfunctional and unhealthy relationships. These women have such a low view of themselves that they will settle for any type of man as long as he has a penis and some wealth. I cringed at whole Stevie J/Joseline/Mimi tryst. These two grown women are vying for the affection of Master Splinter with multiple baby mamas. Yuck. Or Kaylin who was once homeless and was taken in by her beau Joe Budden. Kaylin will support Joe with anything and everything he does. Even if that means cheating on her with his ex Tahiry. I'm still baffled at Erica. Scrappy cheated on her with the rapper Diamond and left her and their daughter and cheated on her again on television with Buckeey from Flavor of Love 2. He also doesn't pay child support for their child and not to mention his overbearing former pimp mother Mama Dee disrespects Erica. Yet Erica accepts his coon ass proposal that the reunion? SMH. I have dealt with very bad relationships in the past but I'm glad that at least I know my damn worth!

For a while, I used to be a die hard viewer of the Oxygen series, "The Bad Girls Club". Created by the producers of "The Real World", the original  premise of the show was to have 7 self-proclaimed "bad girls" live together and receive counseling and therapy for their behavior. The first two seasons  followed this goal. The girls had to keep a job, there was no hitting or fighting allowed and the producers actually mediated many of their conflicts. Sure there was drama and physical fighting. But these original girls seemed like they actually wanted to change their lives and they weren't trying to prove that they were the queen of their hood.

With each season of Bad Girls Club, everything gets more toxic and violent. From seasons 3 to it's current season 10, the altercations have increased, there is more bullying and these girls never learn their lesson. Now the girls are trying to one up each other to see who is the baddest girl or the fan favorite. It has been more about camera time and exposure and who has the best hands than having sense or changing their basic behavior. These chicks live only in the present. Their goals include being rapper, being on KING magazine, getting drunk and fighting over towels and hot pockets.  Oh yeah and jumping people! On the 8th season, they all basically jumped each other. At one point six of the girls jumped one girl.

Even though they are adults, I refer to them as girls because they act as if they just entered their freshman year of high school. These women are in the same age group as my peers and I, which is 18-29. I never have seen such basic women with no future or no prospects. Do they think that being the best fighter in the house will get them a career, a degree, or respect?

I had a friend who wanted to try out for this crap. Really? Most of these girls will never be taken seriously or have a regular job. Who would want someone who spends their free time throwing mattresses in a swimming pool in their office? What man would want a yelling banshee screaming about how much she is a "bad bitch" as a wife or mother? I bet these chicks bride prices are equal to 12 dozens eggs.

You could never pay me to do any of this shit. Once a reality tv junkie, I prefer Scandal, Deception, and The Walking Dead. I want to also get into Dr. Who as well.I think that's one of the reasons why I'm stepping away from shows like this. The scripted shows are much more creative, interesting, and positive. Each show has something for everyone and I don't feel guilty or ashamed after I watch them.


No comments:

Post a Comment