YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, April 12, 2013

Okay, I sorta miss my curly hair but not really!

For the last couple of weeks I have been debating with myself to either stay with the straight hair or go back to curls. Straight hair equals minimal styling, length retention, and few tangles. But it's getting warm again and I want to go swimming soon. I don't feel like spending more on trying to keep it straight. If I go curly, I will have to have a set style for my hair for a couple weeks, wash, detangle and keep it moisturized. I wish I could find some sort of middle ground for both but I will have to choose one eventually.



Since September 2012, I have been getting my hair straightened at a Dominican salon. I wanted to sort of  just keep my hair straight for a while since I started working full-time. I don't mind my curly hair but I just didn't have the same amount of time to do it anymore. I also wanted to change my look.

I have been natural since 2005 and I just started taking care of it while I was in college from 2008-2012. I would wear weaves, wigs, braids, twists, and occasionally do braid outs. I would wash my hair at least once a week. I experimented with cowashing, prepooing, henna, Indian herbs, bar shampoos, etc. I feel like I did so much with my hair. I was very angry for a while because I didn't receive the results that I wanted. My hair needed a rest and so did I.



The salon I visit washes, deep conditions, blow drys and flat-irons my hair straight. It costs me in total $50. I go every 4-6 weeks. My hair always stays straight and I never have trouble with it reverting. The only time when my hair is curly is when they wash it. That's all I do to my hair currently. I will pin it up or bun it but I don't do anything else besides that.



This simplicity is what I have been missing as far as hair goals and overall health. Since I do minimal styling, I have no split ends or tangles. I always get dandruff and flakes. With my hair straight, it's not as severe and I can manage it much more easily. My hair is also much thicker and it grew longer. But the problem is that I still don't know what works for my hair product wise. If I were to go back to curls, what would I use?

I want to do henna again just to cover some random silver hairs and to bring back my auburn color. for the Summer. I'm going to go to maybe Lush, Trader Joes or Whole Foods and see if they have some shampoo products at are safe and fight flakes. As far as conditioner, I stick with Mane and Tail or Tresemme. I might Creme of Nature a try.

I'm very excited for this Summer as far as my hair. I will be rocking long kinky twists and some bantu knot outs. I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment